The Web of Knowledge is launched on a new platform (v5.3) on Sunday 17th July. The IOE subscription to this important citation searching database comprises the Web of Science (1898-present) featuring scholarly literature in the sciences, social sciences, arts, and humanities including the Conference Proceedings Citation Index and Medline (1950-present) the premier life sciences database.
Access for IOE staff and students will be uninterrupted via http://wok.mimas.ac.uk/ and a sneak preview of the new version is available from links (top right) on the existing interface. This link will provide access to the existing version (v4.10) after the transition.
Access to the Web of Knowledge is automatic internally at the IOE or via the Portal and remotely using ATHENS. We will be adding a new guide to our Tutorials and Guides section on our web pages shortly but in the interim a PowerPoint presentation is available.
IOE Find it! will continue to provide links from search results to full text resources and other search options.
Just a selection of the new and enhanced features include –
- No more stopwords on phrases such as “Vitamin A”.
- Support for proximity operator NEAR/x .
- Left Hand Truncation “*phosphate” = monophosphate, triphosphate, etc.
- Full author name searching.
- Automatic searches for over 7,000 spelling variations such as British/US English (colour / color) as well as name variants (mice / mouse).
- Institutional name variants automatically searched.
- ResearcherID Integration enables searching by ID number with links appearing on the Web of Science full record to the full author profile on researcherID.com.
- View abstracts on the summary list, without having to go to the full record.
- Related Records™ feature viewable in All Databases search results.
- Create Citation Reports and Analyse records right from your Marked List.
- Seamless integration with EndNote and EndNote Web.
These powerful new discovery, management and analysis tools will hopefully enhance your ability to create a true ‘web of knowledge’.
***Please note that to enable the upgrade Thomson Reuters will be performing maintenance to Web of Knowledge, EndNote Web and ResearcherID this coming Sunday, July 17th beginning at 1:00 PM GMT. They expect this maintenance to last approximately 12 hours.***