The new British Library Sounds website, which replaces the original Archival Sound Recordings site, lets you listen free to some 50,000 tracks of music, spoken word and environmental sounds from the library’s sound archive. For IOE staff and students there is also the bonus of downloading tracks for educational use after clicking on the ‘Academic institution log in’ box and using your ATHENS account. Some additional features also require individuals to register on the site (see below).
The new Sounds site offers a number of enhancements available to everyone:
- completely redesigned pages
- improved navigation
- new audio player with waveforms
- improvements for linking to pages
- improved sound maps
and if you sign up for free registration, you can:
- add notes at specific points on the audio timelines
- create your own playlists
- add tags and ‘favourite’ specific tracks so that you can easily find them again on return visits to the site.