You might have noticed some attractive new novels and picture books on display near the stairs on Level 4 of the library. These have recently been acquired for the Curriculum Resources collection and are the 16 shortlisted books for the 2013 CILIP Carnegie Medal and Kate Greenaway Medal respectively.
As the website notes, the medals are the UK’s oldest and most prestigious children’s book awards. Often described by authors and illustrators as ‘the one they want to win’, they are the gold standard in children’s literature.
The CILIP Carnegie Medal is awarded by children’s librarians for an outstanding book for children and young people, whilst the CILIP Kate Greenaway Medal is awarded by children’s librarians for an outstanding book in terms of illustration for children and young people.
The CILIP Carnegie Medal 2013 shortlist in full:
- The Weight of Water by Sarah Crossan, Bloomsbury
- A Greyhound of a Girl by Roddy Doyle, Marion Lloyd Books
- Maggot Moon by Sally Gardner, Hot Key Books
- In Darkness by Nick Lake, Bloomsbury
- Wonder by R.J. Palacio, Bodley Head
- Midwinterblood by Marcus Sedgwick, Indigo
- A Boy and a Bear in a Boat by Dave Shelton, David Fickling Books
- Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein, Electric Monkey
The CILIP Kate Greenaway Medal 2013 shortlist in full:
- Lunchtime by Rebecca Cobb, Macmillan Children’s Books
- Again! by Emily Gravett, Macmillan Children’s Books
- Oh No, George! by Chris Haughton, Walker Books
- I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen, Walker Books
- Pirates ‘n’ Pistols by Chris Mould, Hodder Children’s Books
- King Jack and the Dragon by Helen Oxenbury (illustrator) and Peter Bently (author), Puffin Books
- Black Dog by Levi Pinfold, Templar Publishing
- Just Ducks! by Salvatore Rubbino (illustrator) and Nicola Davies (author), Walker Books
You will have to hurry if you want to borrow any of these books, as some keen library users have already got there! In the meantime, why not catch up on some previous years’ winners? A full list can be found on the website above, and most are in stock in the library.
Winners of the two medals will be announced on Wednesday 19th June 2013.